When Is A Sinus Augmentation Needed?
Exactly what is a Sinus Augmentation?
Sinus augmentation is really a surgical procedure that adds bone on the upper jaw. This is called as the sinus lift surgery. This really is required when the bones in the specific area are certainly not sufficient for dental implantation. The teeth implants are used to support the dentures and bridges. There are 2 techniques for this procedure: the lateral window technique and also the crestal technique.
Dental Implants of Austin – RL Machen, DDS
In the lateral window technique, the sinus membrane is lifted and several artificial bones are deposited in the sinus. Crestal technique produces a small hole the place that the dental implant is going to be placed into. The sinus lift usually takes up to 9 months to heal adequately.
When was A Sinus Lift Surgery Needed?
Sinus lift is conducted when the bones in the upper jaw are not enough or the sinuses are very close to the jaw. The next situations require a sinus lift:
1. Every time a person loses his teeth within the upper jaw in particular the back teeth
2. When teeth are lost because of gum disease, dental trauma or dental decay
3. The sinus is just too close to the upper jaw and will not handle dental implants.
What Are The Possible Complications Of This Surgery?
Listed below are some of the complications of the sinus lift:
1. Infection in the dental implants
2. Chronic sinusitis
3. Dental implant failure
4. Bone graft procedure failure
5. Hypersensitive reaction
When these complications occur, the person may need to undergo another surgery to improve it. Scar formation and itching are part of the healing process and may even not need too much attention through the surgeon. Dental Implants of Austin – RL Machen, DDS
What If the Patient Do Following the Sinus Lift Surgery?
After the surgery, the patient should follow these precautions:
1. Rest and don’t engage into active sports for two weeks.
2. Avoid lying on the side and always keep the head horizontal.
3. Tend not to smoke. Smoking might boost the risk of infection.
4. Rinse the location gently using tepid to warm water with salt.
5. Try taking some pain relief and antibiotic medications
prescribed from your doctor to relieve this and prevent
6. Avoid blowing the nose for a month. The pressure will cause the bone graft to detach through the sinus floor.
7. Don’t spit for a few days as soon as the surgery. It may prolong the bleeding and open the wound in the operation.
8. Don’t brush the teeth for two days following the operation.
The individual may need to contact the surgeon if the area of the operation gets swollen and if it is painful and bleeding continuously. Disease may be present in the event the patient develops fever and also the pain does not decrease as time passes.
Sinus lift works well for making dental implants successful. Improving the bones will allow the surgeon to ensure the quality, strength and stability of the implant. It will also prolong the implant’s lifespan. Undergoing sinus lift surgery will raise the success of the teeth implants.